Sunday, January 4, 2015

Biblical Doctrine





"The doctrines of original sin, election, effectual calling, final perseverance, and all 
those great truths which are called Calvinism—though Calvin was not the author of 
them, but simply an able writer and preacher upon the subject—are, I believe, the 
essential doctrines of the Gospel that is in Jesus Christ. Now, I do not ask you 
whether you believe all this—it is possible you may not; but I believe you will before 
you enter heaven. I am persuaded, that as God may have washed your hearts, he will 
wash your brains before you enter heaven."

"Speaking of Arminians, Whitfield said, “We are all born Arminians.” It is grace that 
turns us into Calvinists, grace that makes Christians of us, grace that makes us free, 
and makes us know our standing in Christ Jesus."

Both quotes are by Charles Spurgeon. The picture above is of George Whitefield. the man of God that Spurgeon mentions in the second quote.

I am growing to love the Calvinistic doctrines, not because I idolize Calvin or the Puritan writers, but because of their complete application of Biblical theology, not ideologies made up by men.

Hope you are all having a delightful Lord's day, meditating on Him and His redemptive sacrifice!
Sincerely,
~M

No comments:

Post a Comment