Friday, March 27, 2015

Leadership Learning and Execution Capstone


Last week, I returned from one of the greatest experiences of my life, the Leadership Learning and Execution Capstone. It was an inspiring week completing assignments as a team, listening to powerful sessions, and also getting to know everyone personally; five days which I will never forget!!
Once we arrived at the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park, Colorado, we were each given a name tag with our name, hometown, and a few pieces of paper inside the plastic cover, including a schedule for the five days. 

Tuesday, March 17th
3:00pm- Check In
5:45pm- Dinner
7:30pm- Opening session with Col. Bell and the facilitators
8:15pm- Study Groups Activity-facilitator -we were each assigned a group which we would work with on group projects for the entire five days. This evening, we completed a team activity to just break the ice, and prepare us to start working together for the week

Wednesday, March 18th
7:30am- Breakfast
8:30am- Student Introductions-  Each student was required to find a group of people which they were not acquainted with, and introduce themselves, including their name, degree which they are working on, and their plans for the future.
8:50am- "Ready or Not" by Col. Bell- in this session, we learned about the importance of preparation at this time of life, when we will soon be receiving many of the responsibilities of adulthood. 
10:10am- Team Exercise- in this team assignment, each team (and there were about eight teams of eight students) was required to complete a portion of a how-to document for CP students on how to open and put together a proper LinkedIn profile. 
12:00pm- Lunch time- Each meal, I was intent on sitting with a different group of people, since by doing so, I would be able to forge many friendships, and get to know everyone.
12:45pm- Girls Session with Mrs. Bell- What a delightful, godly woman!! I was quite thankful to be able to listen to her session on preparing for the future ahead, which includes taking as much time as possible with the Lord
1:15pm- Team Project Planning- In this session, we were required to take the specific facts given and plan out and prepare for a fictional campaign
2:15pm- Volleyball- Since I am not a sport minded person, at this time in the schedule, I took advantage of the time slot to call and catch up with family
4:15pm- Study Teams Project Presentation- With our campaign planned out, we were now required to present our plan in front of the entire class. One of the young men from my group led the presentation, and I decided to go along for additional input.
5:45pm- Dinner
7:00pm- Our first session with Dr, Myers, called "Creation, Fall, Redemption". It was such an encouragement to hear the Gospel preached, setting the stage for the next four days together.
8:00pm- Fireside Q and A with Dr. Myers
10:00pm- Worship time- I decided that it would be great to have a time of worship together, so I brought my violin and a stack of sheet music, and a group of the other students also brought their instruments along. Thank you Lord for granting me this encouraging experience!!

Thursday, March 19th
7:30am- Breakfast
8:30am- Developing Your Life Story by Dr. Myers- Each and every one of us has a story which the Lord has written to glorify Himself. Our story is made up of a setting, life change, and finally, complete change.
10:20am- At this part in the schedule, we were required to tell our life story to someone from our team, listen to their life story, and then share what we learned from that specific individual's story with the group.
12:00pm- Lunch
12:45pm-CP Community session, primarily about national CP events
1:15pm- Telling Your CP Story by Jonathan Brush- quite an insightful presentation on how to deliver CollegePlus information to those who ask deep, perplexing questions
2:45pm- Supposed hike time, but because of the snow, a few students went to play volleyball, and some spent some worship time together
4:45pm- Study Teams- Life Stories- At this time, we were required to share our stories with the entire group, and pick one individual to present their story in front of the entire class in the evening
5:45pm- Dinner
7:00pm- Developing Empathy with Dr. Myers- How do we truly become empathetic individuals, not just looking from the outside, but putting ourselves in that specific individual's shoes?
8:15pm- Selected Life Story Presentations- A delightful time of sharing stories, and being inspired as believers to pursue Christ!
9:00pm- Campfire and S'mores- A beautiful time of fellowship

Friday, March 20th
7:30am- Breakfast
8:30am- Peer Coaching session with Dr. Myers- Coaching is about listening and asking great questions, not instructing the person in what to and what not to do
10:50am- Study Teams, Peer Coaching- For this assignment, we were required to have a coaching session with one of the individuals from our group, using the tactics which we had just learned in the lecture...quite an interesting experience
11:45am- Travel Explanation
12:00pm- Lunch
1:15pm- Strategy and Execution with Dr. Myers, what truly makes up great and profitable strategies
2:15pm- The Hike:):):)
4:15pm- Study Teams- Project Planning- For this assignment, we sat as a group and discussed our plans for our final project, which will be utilizing all of the concepts learned in the course
5:45pm- Dinner, our last team dinner together;(...Team #7 was truly the closest!!
7:00pm- Final Charge by Dr. Myers- He spent time reviewing over what we had learned throughout the week, challenging us to start applying it, and making a difference as a leader in our spheres of influence.
After the final charge, I spent time going around and saying good-bye to all of the Christ-honoring, great people that I met over the five days. I was also delighted to be able to have a prayer time as a team, since we all went our separate ways, but still have plans to keep in touch, maybe even get-together sometime in the future, if the Lord wills!! 

Overall, I would say that I had a enjoyable time with young people who have a similar vision and plan as believers and followers of Christ, while also learning about how I may improve as a leader in my sphere of influence.
Thank you Lord!!
~M




- the gorgeous mountains of Estes Park, Colorado...


- two dear friends, one a room-mate (on the right)...



- preparing for a session


- Group #7, my group, and the closest and most exciting group, at least in my opinion




- My dear room-mate, Michelle...


- just prepping everything for Dr. Myer's session...



- Worship time!! I was sure to bring my violin, and a stack of hymn copies so that we were able to praise the Lord for our time together, and thank Him in prayer for His faithfulness, sovereignty, and grace...


- An undercover picture of Dr. Myers...



- Sharing our stories with each other as a team...




- After lectures, many times students would approach Dr. Myers with their questions and comments



- Eating breakfast with Dr. Myers, and learning from his wealth of wisdom...



- a picture of the Rocky Mountains from the hike


- Breathtaking!!



- Memories of Switzerland...


- My other room-mate, Allison...




- My hiking group...



- Team #7 picture with the mountains in the background...



- Time for a funny picture;)...



- Our final team dinner...I will miss all of you guys:)


- Col. and Mrs. Bell, the main facilitator for the course


- Dr. Myers and myself

- Eve, myself, and Jenna on the last evening together...


-leaving the Rainbow Lodge, and these great people...


- one last picture:):)...


- Shuttle buddies...



- One last picture of the mountains, which are reminders of many even greater memories...



3 comments:

  1. Wow Miriam looks amazing!! So cool that you got to hear Dr. Meyers in person. I'm going through the Leadership Theory and Practice Course right now and have been loving his lectures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sydney,
      Yes, it was truly an experience that I will remember forever:) Dr. Myers is such a down to earth, real professor, and I greatly enjoyed being able to speak to him, and hear him give lectures live. Great that you are taking the first Leadership course!! I would love to hear about your experience, while also share some Capstone stories with you;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete