Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Book/Movie Reviews, Seven Toxic Ideas Polluting Your Mind, Book Review


Hello everyone, 
We are now going to move onto a book review...I plan on posting alternating book/movie reviews to shake it up a bit ;)
The book that I am highlighting this time around is Anthony Selvaggio's book, "7 Toxic Ideas Polluting Your Mind". From first glance, you may be deterred from picking up such a book, though what is included inside is vital to the lives of believers who desire to know the different ideologies present in our day and age. 

Rating: 1-5, I would rate this book as a 5+, since not only are Chrsitians made aware of the different ideologies, but they are also given helpful tips to conquer them...very practical book!

Age: The age group of this book is quite dependable on the maturity of the reader, though if I were to peg a specific age group, I would say 13+.

Throughout the entire book, Mr. Selvaggio outlines the seven ideologies that are constantly being promoted as good in our culture, when in reality they are detrimental to the Christian's walk with The Lord! I don't want to give away the entire book, but the ideologies that he decribes include "technopology", "neophilia", and other corresponding ideologies that relate. For example, "technopology" refers to the ideal present in our day and age that has everything to do with technology, ignoring that which is present and real. He proceeds to outline that specific ideology, in addition to giving practical ways assisting us as believes conquer the corresponding traits. In regards to the "technopology" trait, he recommends placing more emphasis on our present life, in addition to many other helpful tips. Even though I am not detailing the explanations here, he includes Biblical references frequently throughout the book, and encourages the readers to examine themselves....overall, excellent, thought-provoking read!! Here is a quote from the book, just to give you a taste ;)


"The evangelical church has immersed itself in the cultural quest for progress, and what has been lost in the wake of this quest is sound Biblical doctrine and reverent Biblical worship. The pastors of progress, dressed in the garb of marketers and entrepreneurs, have bulldozed tradition and confessional Christianity in order to build the icon of twenty-first century evangelicalism: the megachurch. As Os Guiness has noted, much of the modern evangelicalism has built the church on Sola cultura instead of Sola Scriptura." - taken from his description of "neophilia", which is a love and infatuation with progress over adherence to the word of God

Hope you all have a blessed day!! 
In Christ, 
~M

No comments:

Post a Comment