Hello blog readers!!
Before I start expanding our first book/movie review, I just wanted to apologize on my delay in posting!! After this first post, I am hoping to continue posting weekly...we shall see how that may proceed with my crazy school schedule ;)
After much consideration, we have decided upon the movie/book reviews blog series...the first movie to be highlighted in our blog series is the most recently produced historical drama, Beyond the Mask.
As a family, we were pleasantly surprised at the level of professionalism in regards to animation, characters, plot, and sets, since for the most part, sadly, many Christian movies can be quite simple/cheesy.
Review, 1-5- a 5, I would even venture to say 5+, even though there are a couple elements in the movie that some may find inappropriate
Age- Family friendly, with parental guidance... we watched the movie as a family ;)
To start, the storyline is certainly engaging and suspenseful at times, the audience being left at the edge of their seats waiting for the following events. The actors and actresses were chosen perfectly, as all was very realistic in our opinions, without certain sections feeling staged and forced. Even though at times there was fighting and bloodshed, in my opionion is was done in a way to create such realism in the movie, but not gorey, disgusting, filth. Abigail and myself found ourselves cheering for the "good guys" at times...honestly, we can get a bit crazy when watching action packed films :)
The animation was seriously...unbelievable!! At times, when the main character was fleeing from his pursuers, jumping over buildings, and through harrowing situations, the graphics were manipulated in a way that the audience were brought along with him!! If I didn't know about the vast amount of animation utilized for the different scenes (running away from pursuers, burning building, etc. ) I would have never known that animation was even utilized at all!! Very well done in this respect as well :) As a seamstress, I was also evaluating the costumes and sets, which were historically accurate and very well done!!
The one drawback that some of you may have to the movie...the romantic element! Much of what is sold today in the movie industry has to do with sappy, vulgar, and erotic romance, making much of what is sold in theatres totally inappropriate to watch. That is one of the main elements that I also appreciated about Beyond the Mask. Yes, there is a romantic storyline weaved throughout the movie, though it is completed in such a innocent, sweet way, that I find quite refreshing! The main characters kissed once at the end of the movie when they were already "married", and there is a bit of affection shown when they aren't married, though in comparison to the majority of movies produced today, I find it acceptable. Even so, I know that some of you may disagree, since the actor and actress are technically not married, and I would tend to see where you are coming from...in my humble opinion, I believe we should choose our battles!! Even though my convictions for myself in this respect differ, I do see that there is room, in this arena, for discussion and dependence on individual convictions and the leading of the Holy Spirit!
The Gospel was also weaved into the storyline, which I also found quite amazing!! It certainly wasn't outrighly placed, though I would agree that the producers did a good job of bringing Christ and redemption into the story...showing that redemption by the blood of Christ is the only way to reconciliation! One may not be redeemed by continuously putting different masks on, but by repenting and turning to Chrsit for salvation!! Definitely a must watch for Christian families and history fanatics alike ;)
If you have watched Beyond the Mask and may have a differing opinion, I would be interested in hearing your stand!! Please feel free to leave a comment in the comment box below ;)
In Christ,
~M

Wow! Thanks for reviewing it! I haven't watched it yet but I wanted to. Now I really want to! I'm glad it's a "clean" movie.
ReplyDeleteI've heard of this movie before and thought it looked interesting. I'll have to check it out sometime, it sounds really good! :)
ReplyDelete~Lydia~ <3
I watched Beyond the Mask when it was released in April 2015, and I enjoyed it. :)
ReplyDelete