Thursday, June 19, 2014

What is worship-love?

Here is a quote from an article we read today about what worship-love really is. You can read the article in it's entirety at http://wp.me/pWPw7-2KE
We found this very thought provoking and hope you do too! May it assist you in fulfilling the instruction found in 2Corinthians13:5 to "... examine yourself .."
~ Mama C
"Sadly, it is possible to treat God Himself as merely another means to our own ends. This is the fundamental error that sends us over the cliff into inordinate love. God gives me health, and I love God. God gives me a job and enough money, I love God. God gives me healthy children, and I love God. God protects me and my loved ones, and I love God. God gives me a certain quality of life, and I love God. And if God takes any or all of those things away, then what?
We need not search hard to see that around us. Some want God to be their cosmic cash cow. Some want God to be their prescription-free anti-depressant pill. Some want God to be their good luck charm. Christian bookshelves are groaning under the weight of books that make man the consumer, and God the supplier. The Christian life is sold as the means to fix up your marriage, help with your finances, help you budget your time, help you achieve financial freedom, give you peace and happiness, or make you a successful person. The songs and hymns are filled with declarations about ourselves, our sincerity, our intention to worship, our deep experiences, with God as the agent of our intense religious emotions. Should this experience be less than thrilling, the average person comments after corporate worship,“I didn't get much out of that service.” God is a means, and we are the end.
“If we love not God because he is what he is, but only because he is profitable to us, in truth we love him not at all", said Jonathan Edwards. ((Works of Jonathan Edwards, Vol. 1 (Grand Rapids, MI: Christian Classics Ethereal Library), 959.)) The love of worship is loving God for Himself. To love God as the only God is to not seek to use God for some other end beyond Himself."

No comments:

Post a Comment