College Plus(a distance learning college) is having a contest. To enter, you have to write an essay that is 750-1000 words and that explains why you chose College Plus and what you would like to major in. I have entered the contest with this essay that is written below:
A Humbling Experience
My name is Miriam Cacciacarro. I am passionate about music.
The only other thing that I am zealous about is ... living a life that gives
glory and honor to Jesus, my Saviour; humbling myself so the HE would be
glorified.
At the tender age of five, I first decided I wanted to play
the violin (never imagining where it would bring me). Many family friends attempted
to discourage my interest by telling my parents that the violin was one of the most
difficult instruments to play and that I would never be able to play it adequately. Why couldn’t I choose an instrument like the
piano or guitar instead? Stubbornly, I insisted on the violin so, six months
after my fifth birthday, I began my studies. By my fourteenth birthday, I had
completed the RCM Grade 8 practical exam for violin (and later finished my
Grade 2 Theory Rudiments). At this moment, I am working toward completing my
Grade 10 exam in violin.
Through my music experience, I have always impacted people
with my playing. From playing hymns at church on Sunday, to giving a concert at
a local nursing home, I have always enjoyed using my musical gift to bless
others. Nothing, though, was as touching as what happened one winter morning in
the Hospital for Sick Children here in Toronto Canada. In December of 2010, my only
brother (who was seven years old at the time) was diagnosed with a malignant
brain tumor. After undergoing a serious seven hour brain surgery, he was no
longer able to talk. He had not spoken since before the surgery so; I was
brought in to the hospital room with my violin to play him his favorite song (Ashokan
Farewell-a piece I had played by ear after hearing it on the radio and loving
it). Upon finishing the piece, I looked up and to my surprise; he was crying...he
remembered his favorite song and my music had touched him in a very special way.
Almost all the teachers and musicians I have come in contact
with have said that I could easily play violin professionally if I applied
myself. And to be honest, I have thought about it. Imagine performing in Roy
Thompson Hall, Carnegie Hall, and have your name known all over the world.
People would pay hundreds of dollars just to see you perform a few pieces. Your
life becomes a whirlwind of travel. What is wrong with this picture?
Selfishness, all to the fulfillment of our human wants: popularity, riches, and
worldliness. That is not what we were created for!! The Christian catechism states that we were
created to “glorify God”. Would God be glorified if I were famous? Surely not!! Matthew 23:12 says “And whoever exalts
himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself
will be exalted. We as Christians should not want the
world’s approval but God’s.
College Plus’ distance learning would greatly assist me in
my vision in many different ways. First and foremost, I want to serve God and
my family using the talents I have and be a worthy follower of Christ. Most
students that attend a state university (and even most Christian ones), after
graduating from college, drop their faith entirely! By enrolling in College
Plus, I will be obtaining a superior education while not undermining my
spiritual foundations. Being a stay at
home daughter or being “joyfully at home” is one of my hearts desires. While
living at home, I plan on providing inexpensive lessons to single income families
in my community. It is often been found that only people with high incomes can
afford music lesson and therefore those who cannot afford expensive lessons
never have the access to quality music instruction. I could use my BA in music degree to provide
high-quality lessons to my students. I will be capable of teaching them music
theory, music history, along with private lessons and ensemble work. Moreover,
I have a small clothing business for which I sew doll and girls clothing. I
WOULD not be capable of operating my business if I were in a “bricks and mortar”
university. Additionally, a friend, my sister, and I have started an ensemble
and we are preparing to record a CD of hymns in the coming months. Finally, regarding
my brother, since he was unable to complete his chemotherapy due to
experiencing heart failure, we are living by faith not knowing if he will
remain in remission. Every three months he has a MRI to see if his cancer has
returned. If I enrolled in a “normal” university or college away from home, I
wouldn’t be able to spend time with him, and cherish every moment knowing, that
it is a gift from the Lord.
A scholarship would be beneficial to our entire family
because not only are we living on one income, but there are six children in my
family. Since we all love music, we require music lessons which cost large sums
of money each year. It would really help my parents to know that my college
costs are covered.
In closing, I would like you to walk away with this valuable
bit of advice. Use your gifts and talents for HIS glory, and live your life for
HIS glory. By doing so, you will go through the greatest and most humbling
experience of your life!!
If you think that mine is your favorite out of the others on the scholarship website( http://scholarships.collegeplus.org/essays ) then please vote for me! (You will see my essay on the website).
Thank you all!!!!
In Christ,
~M
I voted for you! And I loved your testimony and baptism from the post below. :)
ReplyDelete