Friday, June 8, 2012

The Little Birds of God



The Little Birds of God


I hear them at the window in the late, grey winter

                                                  dawn,

The little birds of God, the farthing sparrows of

                                                      His care;

They ask of me, as I of Him, His gift of daily bread;

                        With soft, impatient twitterings they voice their

                                                         morning prayer.



The heavenly Father feedeth them, the little birds of

                                                   God,

Though ‘tis my hand that scattereth the food within

                                                                     their reach;

I do but share His bounty when I give the crumbs to

                                                           them.

O doubting heart and anxious heart, what lessons

                                                                  they can teach!



They sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into

                                                 barns,

Content if but each day shall bring the day’s supply of

                                                 food;
No question whence it comes, nor if the morrow
                                                            bringeth more-
small optimists in feathers, who are sure that all is
                                               good!
God seeth when they fly or fall. Am I less worth than
                                               they?
I would not fail them in their need. Is He less true
                                                    than I ?
I would not mock their faith in me, nor hurt them,
                                                         nor betray;
I answer to their trusting call, He to His children’s
                                             cry.

                     When sunset tints the fading light and dusk is falling                    
                                                 fast,
The while I draw the curtains close and stir the hearth-
                                                             fire bright,
I hear their cheerful chirping, the little birds of God,
And wonder to what shelter they are fleeing for the
                                                   night.
But then, as I, shall rest secure beneath the wings of
                                                    Love,
Though the darkness sweep the sea and cover
                                                all the land.
My life and theirs, so small and frail, God’s care of
                                                              both the same;
My soul a nesting bird within the hollow of his hand.

-Annie Johnson Flint.



Pictures:    1. A baby blackbird, that I found sitting in the middle of our lawn.
                     It couldn't fly, so I could get pretty close to it.
                   2.Star, a baby starling that our friends found after finding it's supposed
                     Mother dead, so they took it in and fed it with a mixture of cat food,
                     applesauce, and boiled egg. Yummy!
                   3.Gracie sitting and having a snack with Star...
                   4.A baby robin that was in his nest, his other 3 sibling, flew away before
                     I got this shot! Oops, I guess they could fly... 
                   5.I just HAD to put in this picture of Abby with some fresh arugula
                     That our "Urban farmer" neighbor graciously gave us! (thanks Debbie)



Hope you enjoy these pictures, and sorry for not blogging
for a while... I had this post all ready, but I just Didn't have the time to
put the pictures on:D
{Hannah}


























1 comment: