Sunday, July 15, 2012

Dear Diary.....


July 14, 1842 - Mono Mills, Ontario


Dear Diary,
Sorry for not writing in a while. Chores and housework seem to take up all of my time.
This Saturday, my family was invited to a picnic party at the Rohner-Tensee farm. Different games were organized for the children to take part in. Even though I am almost sixteen, I decided to take part in a couple races and games. You are only a girl for a short time in your life!!  My siblings also raced (even Gracie).
After the races, we were lead up to the house for a glass of raspberry cordial. Very sweet and delectable!!  Isabella and her Mother made it. I made sure to ask for the recipe!!
Our chamber group then did a concert, Isabella and her brother played a couple fiddle tunes, and then I performed mine (Czardas and a fiddle tune).
Dinner (salads and a beef leg) was consumed in the barn. A young fiddler entertained us with a bunch of tunes and singing. Such an amazing day filled with great amusement!!
We left early because not only was the trip long, but we are having a church service tomorrow.
I hope to write in you soon!!!
Sincerely,
Miriam Dorothy


P.S. Here are a bunch of pictures that were taken throughout the party. I know pictures are expensive but, this event was quite important to me so...pictures were a necessity. 

 Sarah in a potato sack race...
 Gabriel in a potato sack race...
 My beautiful little sister...Grace Evangeline....
 Ma and Sarah...
 Three legged race...
 ''.....
 tug-of-war...
 chamber group..
 fiddlin'...
 more fiddlin' ..
 beef with gravy...
 petting the goats...
Abigail Irene...


*In this post, I am pretending that I am a young woman with a large family, living in the mid 1800's. We really did go to a pioneer party on Saturday, though. If anything "pioneer" sounding happens in our life, I will put another post like this on our blog.
In Christ,
~M

No comments:

Post a Comment