Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Making Bread!

The Finished product!


The deliciouse bread when it just came out of the oven!






Me kneading the bread.






My board with flour on it, all ready to start kneading





The Egg, Water, oil, and honey.




The yeast dissolving in the warm water.


The "Well" in the flour, that I "Dug"




Hello everyone!
Today I (Hannah) Decided to make some bread! The one that I really like making is called "Vienna Bread" and I usually use spelt flour(you can still use white, it doesn't really matter but spelt is healthier!)


Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup of warm water

6 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 Egg
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups warm water

Directions:


Dissolve yeast in water. Combine the flour and salt. Mix the egg, oil, honey, and two cups of water.Mix the liquids and the yeast into a well in the flour. The dough should be just a little stiffer than usual; add more of the water if you need to, though , by wetting your hands as you knead the dough very well. Knead 20 Minutes by hand.(I know It sounds like a lot, but the more you knead, the better the bread turns out=D) Let rise in a warm place (80 F) (I usually put mine in a bowl with a little bit of oil in it, so it won't stick.) for about 1 hour.Deflate and let rise again for 45 minutes or so; divide the dough into two or three pieces, Dust baking sheet generously with cornmeal. shape the loaves as for french bread , except make the ends more pointy and the middle plumper.Place loaves side by side on the dusted baking sheet and let rise again just until the oven warms up.preheat the oven to 450 F. slash the loaves just before you place them in the hot oven;make long, parallel horizontal slashes-as deep as an inch if the dough seems very bouncy and resilient. It is essential to steam the bread liberally during the first 15 minutes, until the crust shows good color , then reduce the oven temperature to 350 F. Bake until done (30 minutes or so)

Take them out and you can try a slice with butter on it!( I always try one piece before it cools so the butter can melt! YUM!)


ENJOY!

1 comment: